Financial Aid & Scholarships
Program CostThe costs of a study away program depend completely on the program you choose. For some, it could be the same as a semester at IIT, plus airfare and any personal travel; for others it could actually be cheaper if the tuition at a partner institution is considerably lower than that of IIT.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- How much time can you afford to spend abroad in terms of economic resources?
- How much money can you spend on the study away experience? Consider not only tuition and fees, but also housing and food, personal expenses and international and domestic travel.
- Do you need to apply for financial aid? Is it available to you?
- Are you willing/able to take out loans or use personal funds in order to pay for study away?
- Are there scholarships that you might be eligible for to help fund your study away experience?
Costs will also be affected by whether you can bring your current financial aid with you, and this is again dependent on the program you choose. Access to study away-specific scholarships can also play a huge role in finances and we can help you try and find one that matches your needs and abilities.
|Type of Aid||Faculty-Led Programs||Exchange & GE3 Programs||Partner Programs||Provider Programs||External Programs|
|Institutional Scholarships (1)||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Federal Grants & Loans (2)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes (3)||Possibly (3)|
|Illinois State Grants (2)||Yes||No||No||No||No|
- Exceptions are Leadership Academy and Housing Scholarships, which are not applicable to any study away program.
- Federal and state financial aid is only offered if you have completed FAFSA for the academic year in which your study away program takes place.
- In order to apply federal financial aid to provider and external programs, the host program or university must complete a financial aid agreement provided by IIT.
Funding your program
- Apply for Financial Aid, even if you are not awarded anything this is a good place to look for loans
- Research scholarships at IIT that may apply. Check with your department chair to see if any departmental scholarships exist.
- Remember to ask friends and family for support, or get creative to raise money with things like a GoFundMe or bake sale.
- Look at national scholarships such as the Boren and the Gilman.
- Research, research, research. There are scholarships out there!
- Search international education scholarship databases, such as IEFA, studyabroad.com, and internationalscholarships.com.
- If applicable, research your Affiliated Program Provider’s website, as they too could offer scholarships to their participants.
External scholarships and grants offer an opportunity for students to offset the costs of studying away. Some scholarships and grants are highly competitive while others have very early deadlines. Read through the descriptions and websites carefully before you submit an application. If you need help with an application, do not hesitate to come up to the Study Away Office for assistance.
The following are just a few scholarship/grant sites for you to research:
- Benjamin A. Gilman Undergraduate Scholarship Program
- Boren Scholarships and Fellowships
- Foundation for Global Scholars
- Global Studies Foundation
- LewerMark 'Make Your Mark' Scholarship Program
- Elder and Leemaur University Writing Scholarship
- Mensa Education & Research Foundation
- National Science Foundation
- DiversityAbroad.com Scholarships
- Japanese Student Services Organizations (JASSO)
- Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Scholarships
- Freeman Asia
- Ministry of the Flemish Community - Belgium
- American Councils for International Education (ACTR/ACCELS) - Russia, Eurasia, SE Europe
- French Government Scholarships - France
- The Kosciuszko Foundation - Poland
- American-Scandinavian Foundation - Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Norway
- British Council - UK
- Butex Scholarship - UK
- Rhodes Scholarships - UK
- R. Harper Brown Memorial Scholarship - UK
- DAAD/RISE Scholarship program - Germany
- Fulbright Student Program
- National Security Education Program (NSEP)
- Marshall Scholarships
- Organization of American States
- American Association of University Women - WOMEN ONLY
- Microsoft Scholarship Programs
- The Marion Wright Edelman Scholarship
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship
- American Physical Society
- A Better Chance: College Scholarships
- Brown Foundation
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- The Lagrant Foundation
- The National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering (NACME)
- National Society of Black Engineers (must be a NSBE member)
- Science Research Scholarship Awards
- United Negro College Fund
- Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Fund
- The Korean American Scholarship Foundation
- Korean Honor Scholarship
- US Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce
- Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute
- Hispanic College Fund Scholarship Program
- Hispanic Scholarship Funds Program
- League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
- Smithsonian Institution Native American Internship Program
- American Indian Education Foundation
- American Indian Science and Engineering Society
- Association of American Indian Affairs
- The Cherokee Nation: Higher Education
- Indian Health Service
- Anglo-Jewish Association
- Rotch Travel Studio Grant for ARCH majors
- U.S. National Commission for UNESCO Laura W. Bush Traveling Fellowship - for proposals on topics related to the mandate of the United nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) and that seek to build strong ties among nations
- Armed Forces Communications & Electronics Association - Connection to military as shown on website
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship for mathematics, natural sciences or engineering majors
- Explorers Club Youth Activity Fund for natural science majors
- Government Finance Offers Association for Business of Social Science Majors
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation - Connection to U.S. Marine Corps as shown on website
- The Point Foundation for LBGT students and supporters
- Scholarships for Military Children - Connection to military as shown on website
- Society of Women Engineers for women pursuing degrees in engineering
- Global E3 - IIE Scholarship Website
- International Education Financial Aid (IEFA)
- Go Overseas Scholarships
- U.S. Government Sponsored Scholarships & Grants
- Black Excel (for African-American Students)
- Peterson's Award Database